NZ & AU FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $69
GLOBAL FLAT RATE $25
or make 4 interest-free payments of $4.75 AUD fortnightly with More info
African violets will bloom with lower light, but medium to bright indirect light is best. They can be a bit fussy.
- For maximum blooms, they demand ten to 14 hours of bright but indirect light per day and an eight-hour rest period in darkness.
- West- or south-facing windows offer the best light in winter, and windows that look north or east are preferred in summer.
- African violets thrive best with daytime temperatures between 70° and 80° F and nighttime temperatures near 65° F.
- Avoid overwatering; water just enough so that the soil is uniformly moist but not saturated. Use tepid or room temperature water; cold water can damage the root system and will cause spotting if spilled on leaves.
- Too little or too much fertilizer can result in a lack of blossoms. Use an African violet food to ensure the right proportions of nutrients. Experienced growers use a diluted solution of fertilizer with each watering.
African violets need to be repotted about once a year, but they can be persnickety about this, too. They prefer to be a bit potbound, so use a new pot that is only slightly larger than the old one. Remove about one-third of the old soil and replace it with a commercial African violet potting mix. Make sure that the crown of the plant is just above the soil line. Water thoroughly and the job is complete.
African violets really are easy to grow as long as you care for them on their own terms. When rewarded with a windowsill full of beautiful, blooming plants, you’ll know that they were certainly worth all of the fuss.
If you have heating units or air-conditioners, it is best to avoid placing plants underneath or next to them. This is because of the air blowing out from these units can be extremely hot or cold which can leave a healthy plant burnt, damaged and stressed. We recommend the Australian made Munash Organics soil food & foliage spray or The Plant Runner Plant Food or neem oil to keep you plants happy and healthy!
Delivery Options - Spend $69 or more online in our Plantary and we offer FREE delivery within AUSTRALIA (excluding WA & NT, NO PO BOX)
WE CANNOT SHIP PLANTS OUTSIDE OF AUSTRALIA!!!
ALL plants shipped OUTSIDE Tasmania are now sent bare root. Do not fear this is the best way to get them all the way to you in the best possible condition. They come carefully wrapped in damp sphagnum moss to make the journey, you may choose a fab new pot from our range of pots including one of our favourites Aussie made Mr Kitly.
*Disclaimer: We pack our gorgeous plants for shipment extremely carefully, however we do ask that you keep in mind that once they leave our store, we cannot guarantee how carefully they are handled in transit. We cannot guarantee they have been sung to or talked to by the postmen!
So, if a leaf is a little bent, bruised or maybe a small stem broken off, we cannot control this. If by some chance your plant did not arrive alive, never fear, we have got you covered just email our customer service team email@example.com with a quick we will either replace the plants pronto or refund you.