What was old is new again
The Old Armory is isolated buildings on the river flats of Glebe Gardens, the explosives bunker (1850s/1890s) detonator sheds (1850s), a powder magazine and 2 identical ordnance sheds (1914) now used as our cutting and storage rooms. These buildings are located as a compound and served the military right through to the Second World War. The site is now located on agricultural land and is privately owned by Joe Pentridge who has committed to maintaining the historical value of the buildings circa 1850.
Read the Forty South article article on the history and evolution: Dynamite, bunkers and the Spotted Quoll Studio
This small brick building served as the gate house into the inner compound of the North Esk Powder Magazine. As with all the buildings within the inner compound, it was built around the 1850s and continued to serve the military through to the 2nd World War. All the buildings are heritage listed and this building now serves as our new machining site. Although the inside has been upgraded to house a business the outside has changed little.
Check it out in 3D
Below is a selection of recent images before we moved in. To see how the inside looks now take a tour of the factory