XMAS OFFER buy any two sets of Placemats for $50 OFF total order, that's $25 per pack- USE CODE COOL2 at check out for the discount to apply.
We are excited to present our wonderful new range of Cool Climate Placemats & Coaster sets both designed and made in Tasmania from Tasmanian Oak Veneer, printed with designs that can only be described as earthy with a slight retro appeal and packaged into a Eco-friendly Kraft box.
Hamish Lockett is a local Tasmanian adventurer and photographer he gets to places we only dream of, the wildest and most remote corners of this wild island he captures his moments and shares them with us, you to can be on the adventure with Hamish through our wall spots!
Hamish is also an ambassador for Wild Earth Australia.
I designed these gorgeous unique pieces for those that love to entertain for those that delight in a well set table for Christmas lunch a romantic dinner and everything in between ...who doesn't need a set of beautifully designed TAS Oak placemats and coasters to sit upon ones table?
Looking for a gift for those that have everything...?
Who doesn't need a set of beautifully designed placemats and coasters to sit upon ones dining table?
Made using Tasmanian Oak Veneer with striking black core.
What you get in your 8 Pack:
4 x 290mm placemats with 4 x matching 90mm coasters.
Please Note: Prolonged heat may cause placemats to warp.
Support local, buy local
Did you know... this product is Tasmanian made?
The Tasmanian Oak Veneer used to make these placemats and coasters
is processed at Britton Timbers in their own timber mill on the North-West Coast of Tasmania.
Tasmanian oak is a premium Australian hardwood timber encompassing three species that grow in the mountainous areas of Tasmania.
The box is comprised of 30% recycled content along with 70% kraft board,
manufactured by Opal Fibre Packaging in Northern Tasmania.
The packaging concept, creative design and printing is produced at Think Big Printing,
a locally owned business.
The Paddocks is a particularly beautiful area consisting of a large open plain, dotted with native trees, including myrtle, sassafras and leatherwood, and watered by the Mersey River, which continues on to Lake Rowallan. The picturesque valley is nestled beneath towering mountains and has been the realm of the Lee family from the late 1880s. George Lee first saw the potential for grazing cattle in the area and, with his four sons, Oliver, Basil, Oxley and Lewis, made regular trips to The Paddocks with cattle for summer grazing.
During the winter months, from the early 1900s through to the 1930s, all four Lee Brothers would also spend time snaring in the nearby forests, making The Paddocks their home away from home. Oxley Lee was still snaring at The Paddocks in the 1960s when he was almost into his seventies. and Lewis Lee was still taking cattle into The Paddocks in the 1980s.
A couple of earlier huts pre-dated the present Lees Paddocks Hut, which was built in 1933 as a skin drying shed. However, it proved unsuitable for winter accommodation, having a dirt floor which turned muddy and a fire which smoked heavily, and in 1940 Lewis Lee decided to build a hut with improved living conditions.
About 1954, a burning-off fire got out of control, burning the skin shed to the ground and narrowly missing the accommodation hut, but coming close enough to scorch the timber palings on one wall. During 1972/73, a skin shed was once again added to the end of the hut and an extension made. In 1974 roofing iron was replaced and a verandah added, as well as subsequent work to the fireplace.
Visitors to Lee’s Hut – and the Reg Wadley Memorial Hut situated at the far end of the Paddocks – are reminded that these huts and the land is privately owned. It is a privilege to be able to visit these areas. Please seek permission from the owners before visiting and pay due respect to the facilities.
Holly Bank Forest History
The history of the Hollybank area is as unclear as the faded copperplate title deeds but it seems the area first belonged to William Tyson and William Dawson Grubb. The grant deed covers 240 hectares purchased on 16 February 1854, making it one of the oldest land grants in the Underwood area. William Tyson (1804-1885) was a carpenter and William Grubb (1819-1879) was a Launceston solicitor with considerable interests in land in northern Tasmania. The land in the Holly bank area was covered by ‘one dense forest of fine milling timber’ and in 1854 Grubb and Tyson built a water-powered sawmill near the Pipers River, the first power-driven mill in northern Tasmania, and one of only three operating in the state. It was one of the largest industrial concerns of its time in Tasmania and the first nucleus of permanent occupation in the huge forested tracts of the region. At this stage the Tasmanian timber industry was booming, fuelled by the Victorian gold rush and its demand for timber. The free settlers list for 1854 shows James Crabtree (29), his wife Ellen, his uncle William Crabtree (29) and wife Jane arrived in Van Diemen’s Land on the ship Juno from England. Both men are described on the passenger list as ‘mill sawyer men’ and William Crabtree was the first mill manager. It is thought the men brought the American machinery for the mill on the ship with them, along with 20 workmen. William Crabtree is thought to have been the first permanent resident of Underwood, living in a hut near the mill. The mill prospered and in 1855 an Act of Parliament allowed Grubb and Tyson to build a ‘horse drawn tramway’ eight miles (13 kms) long from Pipers River to Mowbray. The wooden track has disappeared but evidence can still be seen of the tramway and the stone walls. The tram took the timber out of the rough country to market and brought back supplies for mill workers and settlers in the area.